Acid

Acid - Emma Pass This book has been sitting around in my room for a while, so I figured it was about time that I should read it. I had been a little put off by some bad reviews that I’d seen, and that lowered my expectations for this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. It certainly didn’t wow me, but I definitely did enjoy it!

This cover is really cool. I actually really like the cover of this book, and am not put off by the model on the front at all. Usually I’m not a fan of models on books, but this one works well. Also, the colour scheme on this is really nice and it does kind of suit the whole theme of the book.

Plenty happened in this book, and a lot of the plot was good stuff. Although it wasn’t the most gripping book that I’ve ever read, there were parts that I did enjoy. There were some really good twists in the book, although some were quite predictable, and other parts weren’t very believable – such as the whole memories thing. One thing that I definitely could believe was the world that Emma Pass created. It seemed like it was possible to create that environment in Britain, and I loved the descriptions of the whole world.

There were a lot of characters in this book, but I didn’t really connect that much with any of them. Jenna had an interesting story and could have been more interesting as a character. Jenna changed her personality so much in the book that I didn’t get a chance to really know her. However, the other characters were a lot more straight-forward and I did like them. The relationship between Max and Jenna worked well, although he did get over the problems between them pretty easily, and I liked seeing the different viewpoints of the characters about the world. I also felt that there were a lot of throwaway characters in this book that seemed as if they might become important and then were pushed to the side and forgotten about.

I really loved some parts of this book. I loved the fact that it was a dystopian book set in Britain, that there was no love triangle (although I thought that there might be one coming) and it was a stand-alone. I can’t remember ever reading a dystopian stand-alone book, so that was a lot of fun. I really liked the newspaper clippings and letters that broke the book up a bit, and the way they were worked into the story.

All in all, I enjoyed this book but there were a lot of things that could have been improved. I’d recommend it to fans of dystopian books and books set in Britain.

For more reviews, visit my blog.