Raven Boys

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) - Maggie Stiefvater I’ve heard a lot of good things recently about this book because the second book, The Dream Thieves, was recently released and I figured it’s about time I read the first book. I’m so glad I read it because I loved it. It was such a great read! I really liked the characters and the plot, and the setting was great too.

The plot of this book is so gripping. The copy I had didn’t actually mention the whole Glendower plot, which I will fangirl about later, so I was quite surprised when it popped up. The plot is very gripping with plenty of twists – some which are easy to guess, some which are a lot harder to figure out. I found that this book was a very easy read and that the events were easy to follow most of the time, although parts of the book had me really confused. But it was the sort of confused I felt while reading Mara Dyer, and I enjoyed it. This book does end with a cliffhanger, but it’s not a big one. It’s more of a throwaway line that you don’t expect and it really does confuse you. Thankfully, I am able to read the next one once I’ve finished my current book, and I can’t wait.

There are a lot of characters to deal with in this book. Firstly, we have our main character Blue Sargent. Putting the name aside, I did like her a lot. She’s an interesting character who’s likable and is also ready to get involved in the action in the book. It was nice seeing a main character who didn’t have an amazing supernatural gift either, and instead had to deal with the rest of her family having those gifts. Her relationships with the other characters are really interesting, and I liked the way those relationships developed throughout the book. Blue’s family was really fun and I loved the fact that their psychic-ness worked in different ways.

The Raven Boys were also great characters, and all so different. Gansey, otherwise known as Richard “Dick” Gansey III, was a character that definitely grew on me over the course of the book. Although he started out quite pompous and cocky, he became really sweet and adorable and it was clear that he did care for Blue a little. Adam, who had a totally different background to Gansey, was even more lovable and I really loved his character arc. Ronan was a very conflicted character who wasn’t as easy to like as the other too, but he seemed to open up more later on in the book and he clearly did care about some things in his life, like Chainsaw. I really loved Noah too and his arc was something really different to most YA books. I thought the way the whole thing worked was very clever, and his character fitted in well.

One of my favourite parts of this book was the Owain Glyndŵr storyline. As a Welsh person, I got really excited when I saw his name turn up in an American book by an American author. I assumed that this story was only known well across Wales, so it was awesome seeing him in this book. Glyndŵr is a really important figure in Welsh history, and it was so nice seeing that people still care about his story and the fact that more people know of him.

The whole supernatural side of this book was awesome too. I haven’t read many ghost/psychic books that I enjoyed so this was a nice change. The way the world worked was good and I liked the way different things turned out to be connected.

Overall, this book was awesome. By combining so many different elements, Maggie Stiefvater has created a really good book which I couldn’t put down. I’d definitely recommend it to fans of ghost and supernatural storylines, Welsh history and romance (although there wasn’t loads of it in this book).

For more reviews, visit my blog.