A Quest of Heroes (The Sorcerer's Ring, #1)

A Quest of Heroes (The Sorcerer's Ring, #1) - Morgan Rice I am a big fan of epic fantasy books, and when I saw this it piqued my interest. I bought this back in June for a couple of pounds, but I didn’t get around to reading it until recently. Honestly, I wish I’d read the reviews on goodreads before reading this book, as it was very disappointing. I know that this is a children’s book, but I have fallen in love with many a children’s book and this one really didn’t grab me.

Cover

I must admit, I am a fan of the cover. I have no idea how it relates to the one castle that is mentioned in the book, as I certainly never imagined it like that, plus this castle looks as if it’s meant to be creepy and interesting. I like the colour scheme for this cover too, and it is a very nice illustration.

Plot

This book has a very fast-moving plot. A lot happens in every chapter, and it’s hard to keep up sometimes. A lot of the events are quite sudden without much of a lead up to them and so I was left wondering ‘why did that happen?’ I guess that, for a children’s book, things can’t go too slowly, but I did feel that the events were rushed and that more time could have been used in developing the plot. The story is also quite a typical fantasy without anything particularly new. A young boy is unhappy with his life and then he suddenly finds out that he is “special” (and that part of the book is very rushed and sudden), and so the young boy ends up in the capital where he falls in love with a princess. Nothing new was added to this story, and so it was very predictable.

Characters

Thor, the main character, is very good at most things. He’s good with a slingshot, seems to pick up swordsmanship pretty quickly and can suddenly ride a horse by the end of the book. That development was very unexpected, because Thor grew up looking after sheep and doesn’t seem to have any horses on the farm. Also, as a relatively poor child who wasn’t loved much by his father, I found it very surprising that he could read. It didn’t seem particularly realistic in this setting.

Although I wasn’t a huge fan of Thor, I did like some of the characters more such as Kendrick and Reece. They were a lot more fun and interesting, especially Kendrick. They felt more genuine as I read the book, and I was far more interested in their story.

Another problem I had with the characters was that there wasn’t much development, with the characters or their relationships. Most of the characters seemed to stay the same throughout the book, and if a relationship changed it would be very sudden, such as from love to hate (or vice versa).

The Little Things

I was a big fan of the scenery in this book, and I did like the setting. It was quite different to most worlds, seeing as this one had a canyon that happened to be a perfect circle which surrounded the kingdoms of MacGil and MacCloud. It was nice reading about the geography of the world.

Generally, I wasn’t a big fan of this book and I don’t think I’ll be buying the second book.

For more reviews, visit my blog.